Wednesday, May 16, 2012

being content...

Philippians 4: 11-13
11I am not saying this because I am in need, for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. 12I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. 13I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

i have been working, and i do mean working, diligently at maintaining a thankful heart over the past few days.  it is amazing how much concentrating on how much i have to be thankful for renews my faith and confidence in the only one with the power to change life.

i have read the above passage many, many times and heard it millions more.  but yesterday i read the entire chapter through new eyes.  i love the translation that i read of verse 13 that says, "i am able because of the one who made me able." 

i feel confident in the job that i have...

"Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God." (Phil 4:6).

that's it and everything and yet still more than i feel i can handle sometimes...but it is written right there for me...and i am able because of the one who made me able...
so yesterday was not a great day for calvary.  he was very emotional.  he was overwhelmed very easily.  the cards are stacked against him right now.  we have a little boy staying with us for a couple of days and the change in routine is probably more than i should have taken on right now...but i am also want to be ready to serve whenever i can and not be so caught up in my own circumstances that i fail to see the needs of others.  the school year is wrapping up and every day he is reminded of how things are about to change.  the countdown is both exciting and sad for him.  and so yesterday was difficult.
but each time i started to get discouraged or scared i just prayed and thanked God for what he is doing in our lives. 
i thank God for monday.  what a beautiful gift it was!
i thank God for eating lunch with calvary on tuesday and how happy and excited he was to see us all. 
i thank God for the report his teacher gave me on tuesday letting me know that he has seemed so happy the past couple of days.
i thank God for the fun we all had  playing in the water.
i thank God for the relative ease calvary transitioned out of setbacks such as dinner not being his favorite. 
i thank God that even though calvary had a difficult time reconciling his desire to have fun and his inability to accept change that he was able to talk to me and use his words.
i thank God that he woke up happy this morning.
afterall, with medicine or without calvary is a boy with special needs.  hard days are hard days. 

these are the moments that i am choosing to focus on when i feel the anxiousness creep back in my head.  i also continue to petition for freedom for calvary.  freedom from the burden of a mood disorder.  i am choosing to be thankful and choosing to continue to petition instead of focusing on the what ifs or watching every little setback as a possible sign because i know that if i do as God asks that he will be faithful to what he has promised...

"And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. " (Phil 4:7)

and the peace of God...
such a  promise to this momma's heart :)

1 comment:

Traci said...

such a great faith and testimony. I can't wait to catch up with you next week!