Monday, December 26, 2011

oh liz lemon...

i am mostly making myself write a post tonight because i realize that it has been far too long since i have written a "real" post and become far too easy for me simply let writing slide.  i have been caught up in other responsibilities such as child rearing and while that can always be a valid excuse (it is basically the same as pulling the race card...the mom card is only slightly less effective) i have always managed to find time so it fails to excuse.  this christmas season wore me out!  between thanksgiving, oliver jack's birthday, decorating for christmas, finishing up school for the semester for the kids, doing advent activities, playing, baking, buying presents, making presents, wrapping presents, and sickness all the while trying to remember that we have taxes to pay on our home has made this season all encompassing.  supercompassing.  omnicompassing. 
all of this has triggered the following chain reaction:
  • the kids are never in bed on time and have developed very erratic sleep habits which has consequently cut into my sans kid time in the evening.
  • finley has decided that she will never nap in her bed ever again and has made it clear that she makes the rules on this situation...not that we ever disagreed...thus forcing me to forfeit any type of true nap time.  this time has been crucial for my home and self maintenance.
  • lots of holiday baking has been happening.  in my home and in the homes of others.  therefore my home is constantly filled with baked goods.
  • all of my sewing projects have required most of what is left of my evening diffusing time
  • i still need some moments just to sit and let the day fall out of my ears without somehow falling asleep at 9:00 because of all the sewing projects...
  • all of which lead to me sitting on the couch drinking coffee, eating holiday goodies, and watching countless episodes of 30 rock. 
through this experience i have learned many things about myself. 
  1. i love 30 rock.  i laughed out loud while everyone else in my house was asleep when liz lemon had knock off lasik and started crying out of her mouth. 
  2. i love coffee.  i love how it is warm and rich and can be sweet without being decadent.
  3. i love baked goods.  i love how they can be paired perfectly with coffee.
mostly i have just learned how much i love 30 rock.  all of the other stuff really isn't news to me at all.  but the truth is that in the half hour i take watching 30 rock and drinking coffee is sometimes the only reminder i have that i am a person separate of my role as mother.  the busyness of the season has slowly taken all of the little free time that i have and i had less and less time for myself.  there were several times that i found myself in anticipation of getting home or going upstairs and watching 30 rock and i think mostly it is because those were the moments that i was wanting to claim some semblance of time for myself. 
i love the time i have spent with my family but my decline into sitcom oblivion is but a cautionary tale for mother's every where to remember to take time for ourselves...

No comments: