Saturday, March 31, 2007

Legitimate fear...

Someone please help me. I've used google, i've used parenting.com, i've even used WebMD. none of which have helped me in my quest of determining my child's normalcy. Surely, i think to myself, that several infant/toddlers have irrational fears of completely harmless items. surely, this is not only my child. i've searched high and low and the only conclusion i have come to is that yes, it is only my child that has irrational fears of completely harmless items. Calvary, 11 months old, is afraid of pinecones. don't stop there; his fear is not only limited to pinecones but extends into a deep suspicion of all things natural. Grass is to be avoided in anyway possible. Flowers...don't even think about. But t doesn't even stop there. the other day Harper was playing with her blocks and she dumped them all out--at that moment you would have thought that an air raid was striking in the murray family play room. ear piercing shrieks forced me to my knees where i found little calvary cowering in fear. i picked him up and his nails dug into my skin hoping that i would not return him to harms way. even tonight at dinner i was feeding him some ground turkey. for a while it was fine...as long as i was putting it directly into his mouth. but when i placed it on his table for him to grab for himself he shuddered and recoiled as far into his seat as he could possibly get. it is weird. so i spent the better part of the night searching popular sites for any glimmer of this being a normal problem. i have found nothing. i have found fear of baths, fear of animals, and fear of thunderstorms. all of which sound perfectly rational. i'm not quite sure what to do. a life of reconnaissance-like examinations of all carbon based materials does not sound thrilling. surely i am not alone.

No comments: