Tuesday, March 13, 2007

what is in a name?

i just went on a website called "Behind the Name" and i was looking up the names of my children, as if the meanings ever change. when i looked up harper's name i went to the comments tab. i was enraged by the comments left about how there are much more beautiful names out there and several wondered why anyone would name their daughter such a masculine name. when i named my daughter Harper I quite honestly expected a few raised eyebrows. Little did I know that the name had actually made it to the top 1000 names! My daughter is almost 3 and living up to the fiercely independent conotation that the name holds. I named my daughter after Harper Lee not because I absolutely love her novel but because she has written one of the greatest American novels of all time and she has done so without sacrificing her integrity or sucumbing to the pressure of fame. I have no idea what my daughter will become in life, but I believe that it is so shallow to look at a name and judge it based solely on whether it is believed to be masculine or feminine. Sure, there are obviously more girly names out but I believe that there are few that compare with the beauty of the feminine legacy that this name carries. Are we teaching our girls that what makes us beautiful is the way we appear or what we contain within our souls? i must say that having and naming children has made me strive to never judge the name a parent gives their child. surely there is purpose in the choosing. these names are beautiful if not for the simple fact that they are representation of God's entrusting grace...

1 comment:

MABrocks said...

Amen sister! no seriously, I totally agree. Love ya and see you Sunday
~j