Wednesday, May 29, 2013

nostalgia, yard sales, and other happenings...

this past weekend was a whirlwind to say the very least.  i am finally feeling 100% recovered and my spirit is in full prayer mode for the next big hurdle in our path...our lovely home (or it has potential to be lovely if someone other than myself lives in it with time to clean and keep the outside from looking like a daycare).
but first...just a moment to sit in relish in the workings of the Lord and reflect on His goodness and blessings.
we have started this process with only the assurance that God had called us to costa rica and the belief that His provision would draw us into full preparation.  and at each step i am just amazed at how He has done just that.
we had our first fundraiser/yard sale at my childhood home this past weekend and i just want to rejoice in what the Lord did through that event.
we were able to make a little over $1,800.00 at a yard sale manned by mostly just myself, kyle, and my mom and dad!
we had so much support that i felt all ooey and gooey all weekend long.  i just wish i had the words to express what it does for my heart and spirit to see our family come alongside of us and work with us to accomplish this calling.  it has truly been beautiful to me.
my sweet mom and dad worked their little bodies to the extreme and graciously opened their home to us and all the joys that come with countless children fending for themselves in the midst of chaos.
i had been praying all week that the sale would be successful and even praying specifically that we would make between 1,500-2,000.  friday evening we parked the biggest u-haul you can get in their driveway and they unflinchingly jumped in to start unloading and organizing.  kyle and i had loaded the truck to the brim with donations from christy, jennifer, alli and david, my aunt and uncle and cousins, kyle's mom and dad, and my like-family-friend linda maxine.  the truck was seriously loaded to the brim.  when kyle arrived at my parents' house (who plans a yard sale the weekend of the race?!?!) he slowly started to open the back and as he lifted the gate trinkets started spilling out like a closet shoved full.
i thought it was funny then.
i didn't think it was funny saturday morning.
i started to panic a little on saturday realizing that if all this stuff did not sell then we would be in quite a state trying to figure out how to get all this stuff back to our home...i started praying again...and i just kept pulling stuff out and setting it up and praying.
and before i knew it we were surrounded by a sea of gray make room for the murray shirts and i forgot about all my apprehension.
my mom's neighbors jumped right in and offered their help and our sale spread out over all three yards.  it was massive.
we were still selling things at 6:00 when i had to leave to meet  one of my former students in belmont...my dad eventually had to shut everything down and make my little momma come inside to get some rest...
by the time we donated stuff to the homeless ministry in charlotte and christian mission in mooresville we were down to only 1 truck load to bring back home!
God is so good...i am not sure why i even fret at all...i guess denying my concerns would keep me from seeing his faithfulness at times though :)
the biggest blessing in all of this was all the support.
at almost the same exact time we had people from different times in our lives all gathered with us in the front yard of my parents' home. it was the biggest gift, the biggest encouragement, and the biggest picture of what i hope to bring with me to minister to the lives of the children in costa rica.
i know i keep saying it, and i fear it may become trite, but we truly are just so grateful and so humbled.

2 comments:

Traci said...

I am humbled to be your friend! So glad the yard sell went well!

Robin said...

We are so LUCKY to be your parents! Like most parents we would like to say "we must have done something right" But really God has worked so wonderfully in your life and what a blessing you, Kyle and the kids are! What an impact you all have made in so many lifes! You know I had not thought of the fact that so many people from different times and parts in our life were there "one day" together what a "God Thing"!!
I Love You!