Tuesday, November 29, 2011

a challenge for myself...


http://theexcellentwife.com/2011/10/25/super-woman-vs-abiding-woman/ 
 

i came across this awesome chart on facebook yesterday and i have been encouraged and challenged by the stark differences between the all too familiar super woman and the more humble abiding woman. i do not claim to be either but i would be lying if i said that i did not feel a boost to my pride any time that someone has referred to me as "super mom" (which hasn't been often--maybe mostly in my dreams where all of my children are wrapped lovingly in my arms with sweet cherub smiles and perfectly brushed hair). and while there are so many moments of pure joy tied into this role as a parent most of those are the fruit of painstaking investment. i had a reality check when i read number 8 (she teaches her kids to be good versus she teaches her kids to be Godly). no other time do i feel as exposed as a parent as i do on holidays. i feel as if all of my successes and failures are laid out for everyone to analyze and judge and as a result i believe i put an unfair and unrealistic expectation of perfection for my children. my desire for their behavior is rooted in my own needs versus what is of eternal worth for them. for example, calvary at thanksgiving is a so stressful for me. i am torn between understanding him versus everyone else's opinions of him and how that reflects on me. i understand that between the excitement of seeing family and the stress of food prepared in unfamiliar settings and ways is sometimes more than he can appropriately process. but then i also hate the feeling of failure that comes with a meltdown only acceptable for a 2 year old. if they were practicing Godly habits like thankfulness and self-control then they would in turn be "good" but in that moment it is difficult for me to focus on being a loving parent over wanting my pride to be boosted by perfectly behaved children. not to say that his actions do not need discipline, but sometimes my motives as a parent are impure. leslie, over at authentic pursuit, spoke to my heart when she mentioned that parenting has a way of exposing our own predisposition to sin. i have realized, through looking over the list above and personal examination, that i sometimes strive more to be a super woman rather than an abiding woman. my desire is to be an abiding woman and therefore i am going to challenge myself to consciously choose (another inspiration from leslie's latest blog post titled "thankful") to be aware of the moments where i can either be an super woman or an abiding woman. i have noticed that the areas where my children struggle the most regarding their character are directly linked to the deficiencies in my character. my prayer is that through this challenge more fruits of God's sweet spirit will made evident through me.


2 comments:

Leslie said...

Thank you for sharing this. I'm going to print it and put it on my desk. What a perspective-giver!

Hope you and your sweet family are doing well... lets play again soon :)

Traci said...

I love to read your writings. I too was taken aback by the chart. I too often think I am doing a "great job" but charts like that make me realize... maybe I am not :) nice reality check