Sunday, September 8, 2013

Faces...

My children are sleeping soundly in the room with me...they are so close that I can hear the whispered sounds of their sleepy breathing. I look at their sweet faces in their cozy, matching pjs and my face turns up in an involuntary smile...I just can't help it...I love them so much. And my mind starts racing with questions...
What if I was not their mother?
What if I couldn't care for them?
What if I didn't want to care for them?
What if I died?
What if I was stricken with such abject poverty that I could not provide any of their basic needs?
What if I was so deep in addiction that I could not think of anything else?

Would that change their value? Would that lessen the sweetness of their sleepy faced innocence?
When I think of what we are about to be a part of, I think of my own children.

Some of these children will be adopted into homes that will be their forever homes. They will be loved by their forever mamas and sleep quietly beside them while their mamas think about just how much love they have for this child...
And for those mamas, I need to care for their babies while they are waiting...

Some of these children will be too young, too sick, or otherwise unable to voice their needs...and, oh, do I know what it is like to advocate for the needs of one of these special blessings.
And I pray that I will be their voice.

Some of these children may never be adopted.
My heart breaks to write this.
I look at my four and the thought of them not having a mother or father that calls them by name is almost too much to bear.
And for those children, I pray that they will see a glimpse of their true Forever Daddy in the love that we give.

“Orphans are easier to ignore before you know their names. They are easier to ignore before you see their faces. It is easier to pretend they’re not real before you hold them in your arms. But once you do, everything changes” -David Platt

The faces of the orphans reflect the faces of my own children...and not only can I not ignore them, but I can not get them out of my mind...
It is not my job to find every orphan a home...but it is my job to care for them.
And I smile at the blessing it is...




1 comment:

Traci said...

Oh my Cassie! If anyone was ever capable enough to love the children of Costa Rica it is you!