Tuesday, April 13, 2010

"he was walking her home--holding her hand..."

one day my daughters will more than likely marry men that they love and when i think back on my life and the choices i made in the areas of boys and love i feel the overwhelming urge to pray a covering over the lives and choices of my sweet girls.
i have heard plenty of parents say that they have prayed or are praying for the spouses of their children, but it wasn't until i became a mother that i realized how something that seems so distant can become such a pressing prayer need now.
i dated a great guy while i was in my last few years of high school and beginning years of college. while we did not end up married, i know with confidence that the relationship was a success. he was a man of God who valued virtue (his and mine) above all other pressing influences. i have told kyle that i pray that harper has dating experiences like that. on the way home from dropping harper off at school yesterday morning i heard a song on the radio that immediately pushed my heart into prayer. the song was about a couple that started dating at eighteen and ends with the wife dying in her eighties. it is a song i have heard a million times, but this morning it moved me in a different way.
for the first time i thought of harper as the girl in the song and not myself.
i prayed immediately that God would consecrate harper (and baby #4) for the man that will love her with a love described in this song.
i pray that she knows the love of a husband that truly cherishes her as a gift. that she will be valued as a treasure and that she will never feel unprotected or alone in her relationship.
i can pray these things for her because God has blessed me with a husband who shows me an immeasurable amount of love that i feel unworthy of every day.
i have also known the emptiness, insecurity, shame, and worthlessness associated with making all the wrong choices in a relationship.
my heart's desire is that she marries a man who will love her like kyle loves me. i cannot imagine wanting anything more for my daughters than for them to be blessed enough to be loved like God intended them to be loved. and i may feel like i am undeserving of that love every day, but i do not question the worth of my daughters and i know that God has created us all intending that we know that love.

1 comment:

Sandy said...

Cassie, I 100% agree with you that there are few things more necessary to pray about for our children (and in my case now, grandchildren). That song gets me every time, as does the one that came out when my two were little by Wayne Watson ("Somewhere in the World"--if you've never heard that one, look it up online and give it a listen, it's timeless).

I have seen many young women marry out of a sense of desperation ("what if I never get asked again?!") or failure to believe that God has a GREAT-Jeremiah 29:11 plan for them ("God might let some people find incredible true love, but that probably won't happen to me!") only to see those same marriages later crumble leaving behind broken hearts and lives (and way too often, broken children).

So THANK YOU for being an intentional mother who knows the importance of praying protective, directive prayers for your daughters (and sons, too!)

For David, I prayed that his head would NEVER turn for a woman who wasn't sold out first and foremost to Christ as her Lord and Savior. God honored my prayers for my children and I will praise and thank Him forever!