Saturday, September 13, 2008

crying...

as a mother i would have to say that the cry of one of my children is by far the most distressing sound i hear on a daily basis. distressing at times because it evokes emotions of anxiety---it breaks my heart if they are hurt or sad or scared...distressing at other times because it evokes emotions of intense annoyance---it drives me crazy to listen to the bickering and whining and grating sounds of feigned sadness, pain, or fear. so it is strange to me that the recent news of crying has brought a smile to my face. a true paradox, for sure. as i traverse into my seventh month of pregnancy i learned just yesterday that not only is my baby over 2 lbs in weight and probably around 15 inches long, but he is also capable of crying! how insane is that?? the knowledge of this cry does not evoke emotions of anxiety or annoyance but amazment and admiration. this life inside of me, at 7 months, is capable of emotions that are truly so alive! i may be exhausted; i may be tired (already) of my ever expanding body; but it is at moments like these that the joy of pregnancy outweighs any of the pains...

No comments: