Wednesday, July 16, 2008

teaching kids to be considerate...

...sometimes backfires.


wednesday was kyle's birthday and i took harper and calvary with me to go shopping because they go with me everywhere :) as i was trying to find something for him, harper kept asking for things for herself. "can i get a new barbie?" "i want some more markers." "i want..." "can i...?" all of the questions and statements carried on and on every couple of minutes until i finally told her that we were there shopping for something for kyle's birthday. i tried to stress the importance of thinking about other people before ourselves and she quieted down for a little while.


the next day i had to go and finish getting a few last minute items that were at the mall. as we went from store to store, i stopped in a store to shop for something for myself. as i picked up an item harper looked at me with disgust and said, "we are NOT supposed to be thinking of ourselves right now!" she continued to tell me that the day was about kyle and not about me and that we should remember to think of others. she was right. sigh.


i left empty handed; but i am secretly proud :)

this is basically the quizzical expression i received while my hands were full merchandise; the teacher became the student...

2 comments:

Sandy said...

Trip to the mall with two kids: Free
Birthday present for Kyle: $50?
Being instructed on priorities by your preschooler: Priceless! :)

Happy Birthday to Kyle!

Anonymous said...

That is the cutest thing ever! I think Harper is the most precious little girl ever!