Tuesday, January 1, 2008

new year's hopes for my little ones...


as i sat today thinking about what i would like this new year to be for our family my thoughts went, as they often times do, to my children. what would i hope for this year to mean for them? how will they change? what do i hope to instill into their little lives that only i, as their mother, can?



For myself,

"Your job is to speak out on the things that make solid doctrine. Guide older men into lives of temperance, dignity, and wisdome, into healthy faith, love and endurance. Guide older women into lives of reverence so that they end up as neither gossips nor drunks, but models of goodness. By looking at them the younger women will know how to love their husbands and their children, be virtous and pure, keep a good house, be good wives. We don't want anyone looking down on God's Message because of their behavior. Also, guide the young men to live disciplined lives." Titus 2:1-6



I pray for the unwavering resolution of the faithful women that have shown me what it means to steadfast in the midst of trials and suffering.

I pray for patience as my children learn to live.

I pray for the ability to love the unloveable. I have watched friends love without question and I often times think that I am far too stubborn with my love.

I pray for the desire to pour out the love that I do have without fear, regret, or self-conscious doubt.



For Harper and Calvary,
"You are children of God, your God...You only are a people holy to God, your God; God chose you out of all the people on Earth as his cherished personal treasure."
Deuteronomy 14:2

I pray that Harper's ability to imagine, create, and dream will never be stifiled.
I hope that she will realize that truly is a princess-God's princess, his most cherished personal treasure.
I pray that her desire not to disappoint me will slowly transform into a desire to serve a most perfect God.
I pray that she will be a steadfast individual...uncompromising of her own ideals.
I pray that she will continue to pour out love on the numerous people that love her...
I pray that she will always love to read...with me.


I pray that Calvary's strong will will develop into a form of godly leadership.
I hope that he will realize that he is God's most cherished personal treasure.
I pray that his frustration of not being able to communicate will give way to the knowledge that he is never alone or misunderstood by God.
I pray that he will be a steadfast individual...uncompromising of his own ideals.
I pray that he will gain patience.
I pray that he will want to cuddle with me and smile that smile for me for a very, very long time.


Most of all, I pray that our family will be a godly family that grows together in love. I want our home to always be one of acceptance but also firm guidance. I want to shape my children through loving discipline that teaches them to love and respect authority, not fear and resent it. I do not think that I will achieve the goal of being the perfect mother by any stretch, but I pray all of these things because I know that God is capable of making me the best mother my children could need and praying for anything less would be underestimating God's ability as creator and protector of the entire universe. If He can know the hairs of my head then surely He can grant me steadfast patience and faith as a mother :)

No comments: