Monday, July 26, 2010

questions...

being the mother of many small children i receive many interesting, and sometimes inappropriate, questions EVERY time i go out...
some of my favorites with their respective answers:

1. "have you guys figured out what causes this?" ~ no. what causes it?

2. "you are done, right?" ~ somehow this doesn't feel like a question.

3. "how can you afford it?" ~ first of all, you would be surprised how high in demand a stay-at-home mom and wife with an expensive english literature degree is in our recent economic climate. however, if that alone is not enough for you, then just ask yourself, "how can we afford NOT to have this many children?" given the outlook for the financial security of our social security system we have only given ourselves better odds of having a child that can and will take care of us when we are old.

4. "you sure have your hands full don't you?!" ~ again. this feels less like a question and more like a statement. and how am i supposed to answer this. if i say yes, then my children may be hurt. if i say no, then i would be lying.

5. "are they ALL yours?" ~ as far as i know. except for the one throwing cantaloupe on the floor. he's not mine. or that one slamming the door. she's not mine either. or that one screaming at that other kid. definitely not mine. come to think of it...only the sweet sleeping baby is mine. we should find these other kids' parents.

6. "are they twins?" ~ no. none of them are twins. harper is just tiny. calvary is just mature (sometimes). and to the people that think finley and oliver jack are twins...you people are just ridiculous and i refuse to answer that.

7. "how do you do it?" ~ i didn't know i had an option. :)

5 comments:

Betsy said...

Great post. Do they really ask these questions?! I mean I've heard these quotes before, but it's crazy that people have actually come up to YOU and said these things!!

I get #4 (you've got your hands full) all the time, though. With only 2 kids. And you know what I say to every single person who says that to me? I say, "Yes, I certainly do, and you know what? I can't think of anything better to have my hands full of." :)

Cassie said...

i have been asked every single question...on multiple occassions. i respond to number 4 in a similar way; i usually say "the best kind of full". we have a sense of humor about it, but i am always amazed at the things people say!

Betsy said...

I know!!

I thought about it some more and remembered that I've been asked the first, second and seventh questions a lot too. Again, with only two kids! Crazy. I think some people feel that they just have to ask you if you know what causes it because it's funny or something. I don't really think so. Or that you're done. For me, I always get "You've had a boy and a girl, so that means you're done, right?" Hmmmm. Who told them that, I wonder?! God? If not, then I'm not really sure if we're done yet or not. :)

Then the "how do you do it?!" I love your thought that there's really not an option. [huge smile here]

I really think most people don't understand that kids are really BLESSINGS. Blessings that come with hardship, faith-testing, strength-testing, exhaustion, tears (etcetera, etcetera, etcetera... I'll just leave it at that), but beautiful, awesome blessings nonetheless. And I am sure thankful for my blessings, even if they do keep my hands full and have me questioning every. single. day. "how do I do this"? !!!

(sorry, I get kind of passionate on things like this... thanks for letting me share.) ;)

I certainly think every one of the Murray kids are a huge and wonderful blessing, and they're adorable to boot!!

DCK said...

You are hilarious. And I always say, stupid questions deserve stupid answers. Or, there are no stupid questions. Depends on how much I like the person.
Thank you for following my blog. I still crave approval no matter how much my psych degree tells me not to.
I love hearing your thoughts!

Denise

Sandy said...

Cassie, this could be the beginning of your first book! Love it!!